Monday 14 April 2014

Mac -v- PC - which should an animator choose?

 

One question we get asked a lot at Animation Apprentice is this: "What should I use for animation - a PC or a Mac?" The good news is - you can use either one. The bad news is - you should really buy a PC. We recommend a PC for several reasons. First, all the course videos are recorded on a PC, and the interface is a little different on the Mac. Second, a number of free Maya plug-ins will only work on a PC. In particular, the Parent Master plugin, which is seriously useful for attaching and un-attaching objects in Maya, does not work on the Mac. Finally, audio playback in Maya can be troublesome on a Mac.


The ZV Parent Master Plugin
These are all small reasons, and none them mean that you can't run Maya on a Mac. But, personally, I use the ZV Parent Master plugin a lot for attaching and un-attaching objects in Maya, and I find that, without this tool, the process can be pretty fiddly and annoying.

Still, as any techhead will tell you, Macs can be run on special dual-boot software, so you can boot it up in Windows if you prefer. And, hey presto - you have an instant PC. And Macs are lovely. I am writing this on my MacBook Pro - a beautiful machine, and I would not be without it.

Personally, I have both a Mac and a PC. For animation, I use my PC. For everything else, I use my Mac.

For more information on the technical requirements to take our course, check out this useful page at our website.
 
----Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment